The art of Andrew Wyeth

Category: Books,Literature & Fiction,Genre Fiction

The art of Andrew Wyeth Details

Presents an interview with Wyeth and criticism of his work, complemented by reproductions of his paintings. Read more

Reviews

This is a lovely book which includes many of Wyeth's pictures. Part of me wants to say the pictures enhance the text but, in spite of the interesting and well-written text, for me the book IS the art. (Wish I could include the work on the cover: Wind from the Sea. Incredible.)Following the Preface there are four primary sections: A Visit to Wyeth Country by Brian O'Doherty; Andrew Wyeth: An Interview by Richard Meryman; Andrew Wyeth's Painting Techniques by E.P. Richardson and The Art of Andrew Wyeth by Wand M. Corn.In the Interview, the artist is blunt. Quotes: "Talking art bores me and I hate to get caught painting...I have such a strong romantic fantasy about things-and that's what I paint, but come to it through realism...If you don't back up your dreams with truth, you have a very round-shouldered art...You see, I don't say, 'Well, now I'm going to go out and find something to paint'. To h*** with that...."The section on techniques presents, with some quotes, Wyeth's movement from traditional watercolor to his dry brush technique. It goes on to describe his works (my favorites) done in egg tempura: "The medium for his most sustained and controlled statements is egg tempura, used on gesso panels just as it was used when Cennino Cennini wrot his description of the technique in fourteenth-century Florence."Awfully glad I bought this book. The seller was a Goodwill store in Florida. We both "won" on this transaction.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel